Scallops and Fall Vegetables





Weighing in at just under $5.00 per serving, Tinpot Gourmet’s most expensive dish yet: scallops and fall vegetables. I took a yukon gold potato and a purple potato, sliced them thick and then boiled them. Atop that, I placed some large scallops that I sauteed very simply in olive oil at medium-high heat, to a medium rare. Then I spooned a generous helping of tomatoes, garlic, sea salt and basil on top. To finish, I drizzled a line of an aged, black fig vinegar for visual contrast and a surprise on the pallet.


Lets talk about scallops. When I bring my scallops home, I always dump a bit of ice on top. Some direct contact can damage the flesh ever-so slightly, if you are a Charlie Trotter purist. But for me, I like the cleaner taste of ice-chilled seafood. Before I cook them, I bring them out onto the counter and let them come up to room temp sitting on a paper towel, 30 minutes before I cook them. I want them good and dry before I put them into hot oil.

There is about a 30 second window where you can take the scallops off the heat and have a great-tasting result. Underdone and they will taste like rubbery fish. Overdone and they will taste like fishy rubber. Where that sweet spot is, depends so much on your pan and your stove. But a good place to start is to heat your pan to medium-high, throw in some olive oil, throw in your scallops and after 60-90 seconds, turn them over to look for either separation of the grain of the flesh, or slight browning. When you see that, turn the lot of them and then wait a similar amount of time then take the pan off the heat. The remaining time they spend in the pan, waiting for plating, will help them to finish cooking. If you have less-daring company, put a lid on the pan during cooking and the center will cook slightly more without the edges getting overdone.

$5.00 or less if you are a savvy shopper. Good protein. Good antioxidants. Filling. Subtle sweetness from the potatoes and the scallops to play against the savory salts and subtle acids. A colorful dish to surprise and impress.

No comments:

Post a Comment