$3.00 Vacation

It takes as much time to assemble a great sandwich as it takes to assemble a ho-hum sandwich. In France, ham is not a food, it is an art form. They explore the nuances of curing times and moisture contents, quantity and exposure to smoke and air and sunshine. At breakfast alone, you have your choice of 3-5 artisan hams.
Since I was close to Italy, I was also offered proscuttos and capicolas. I got addicted to the availability of wood-fired-oven croissants, clover-fed-cattle brie, heirloom tomatoes, and artisan hams. Whenever I wish to return, I make this sandwich.

It has me looking harder in my neighborhood for purveyors of approximates. I found one Italian deli that has an amazing selection of hams and cheeses and olives from the region, and he sells them cheaper than you can buy the middle-of-the-road processed stuff in the grocery store.

I can put this sandwich together for less than a MacDonald's quarter-pounder, and still have some budget left for some fresh berries and a glass of ice-cold milk. When you start adding it up like that, you wonder why you subject yourself to such punishment. I get low sodium hams so I can sprinkle some sea salt on my tomatoes and not go overboard.

$2.50 Simple. Delicious. High in protein. Good vitamins and antioxidants. Filling. A great base for any fresh greens. Quick. Flexible.

No comments:

Post a Comment