Winter Pork Goodness

My wife is not a big fan of pork tenderloin, but she said I was allowed to make this every night. I took a packaged pork tenderloin from the grocery store, rinsed it and let it breath and rest on the counter for about a half an hour. I moistened it again, put it in a glass casserole, fat-side down, and dusted the top with ground thyme and parmesan cheese. I roasted the meat and vegetables together at 475 for the first 30 minutes and then at 400 for the next 60 minutes. The vegetables were organic carrots and shallots cut to equal thicknesses.


While that was roasting, I warmed 8oz of heavy cream and the leaves of 3 sprigs of rosemary to medium and let the cream reduce to half, then sit. The fat from the cream draws the oils out of the rosemary and softens it. The 90 minutes that it sits is while the rest of the meal is roasting is essential for that process.

10 minutes before serving, I check my meat with an internal thermometer. Mine came out at 150, and looked both moist and slightly pink. The herbs and parmesan had developed into a nice crust. I let the meat rest, sliced it and served it with the vegetables, hitting the top with the warm rosemary cream. Just before serving, I sprinkled a pinch of course sea salt on the top.

Roasting meat and vegetables together takes a little practice. I have often ended up with mushy vegetables or dry meat. It is okay to keep them in separate pans so you can take one out while the other finishes cooking, until you learn your oven. As a general rule, keep your veggie slices thick and even. I did not use any oil on the vegetables. I let them dry out and caramelize. Since the ingredients here are very naked, pay close attention to times and orders of things, and spring for some higher-quality vegetables.

Under $4.50 per serving. Decadent. Very satisfying. Good lean protein. Al dente vegetables had a great mouth feel. Subtle, complex mix of flavors. Very low sodium. Very little prep time. Such a set-it and forget-it dinner. We felt like we were in a French neighborhood bistro.

No comments:

Post a Comment